Thursday, August 11, 2011

I tri'd

2 weeks ago we packed up the kids and headed to Idaho for the Spudman. First of all let me thank my husband for being SO incredibly supportive. He helped me pack the car, he drove me the three hour distance, he set his alarm to wake me for the race and he watched the kids throughout the duration of the race.(and this is the 3rd year he has done this all for me) So, shout out to you babe! Thanks!
Back to setting the alarm for me. This year he set it a little too late and my wave started 5 minutes earlier than I thought...ps my wave was the final wave.
Okay let me back up.
When I got to the race that morning they had closed the streets because the race had already started. This meant that not only was I late but I had to run at least a mile to get to the starting point before the race even began. Once I got there I saw that EVERYONE was gone. I grabbed my timing chip and dove in at 7:34. Now at first I was pretty bummed that I missed my wave but all in all I think it was a good thing. It was really motivating to catch up and pass people (rather than being passed) The swim went great, better than ever and the bike was really good too...considering I did not have my IPOD. Rather than Eminem pumping through my veins I watched the scenery, cheered for other racers, and thought in detail about writing my blog post for the race...weird.
Anyway, the race just gets better every year. I had a tip from a friend that said to eat something every 15 minutes throughout the race, it was SO helpful. My training was also a lot different this year. I did a lot of endurance weight training and I have never felt so good throughout a race. My finishing time was 15 minutes less than last year (30 min off the first year)so I was pleased, if not for that, for the fact that I didn't want to pass out when it was over. I just felt really good...which was really good. So if any of you are ever interested in doing the Spudman with me next year, I beckon you to COME!

5 comments:

Candice said...

Nice Job!
Congrats on your new personal record.

Chelsi Archibald said...

Wow! You rock Libster! You always amaze me with your sweet racing skills ;)

thailiz said...

Way to P.R.! Isn't the spudman a half? Or is it Olympic? I'd consider it next year...maybe...I totally love tris but can only do Olympic if there is no sprint attached to it. I'm mentally weak like that :) And your Ironman video was hilarious, by the way.

JDM said...

Just read this quote for the first time and it made me think of you.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."
— Albert Camus

lizdye said...

Liz, it is an Olympic, they do not offer a sprint, PLEASE COME DO IT! And Jen, I really hope I can find that summer because I am already getting depressed. I LOVE THAT QUOTE...I want it on my wall.